A new study suggests that yoga can help women battle breast cancer. Women who hit the mat experienced 'improved physical function' and a 'reduction in fatigue', as well as mental benefits, according to a new study
MSN reports on the study conducted among 163 women with an average age of 52. The yoga classes were an hour long and took place three days a week for six weeks. The results? Pretty darn good:
Only the women in the yoga and stretching groups reported a reduction in fatigue.
But those learning yoga experienced greater benefits to physical functioning and general health. They also developed a more positive attitude to their cancer than women in the other groups.
Women who practised yoga also had the steepest daily declines in levels of the stress hormone cortisol. This was considered important because higher cortisol levels have been linked to worse outcomes in breast cancer.
It seems like doctors are finally realizing the mind-body connection and the power of yoga's healing benefits. Professor Lorenzo Cohen, who conducted the study said:
"The combination of mind and body practices that are part of yoga clearly have tremendous potential to help patients manage the psychosocial and physical distress associated with treatment and life after cancer, beyond the benefits of simple stretching."
Namaste to that!
Article Source: www.mindbodygreen.com
- Yin Yoga & The Art Of Daydreaming
- Phyllis Sues, A 92-Year-Old Yogi Shares Her Secrets To Happiness & Longevity
- The Meridians: Connecting the Visible and Invisible An Interview with Qigong Grand Master Xi-Hua Xu
- 8 Things You Should Know About Acro Yoga
- What Everyone Needs To Know About Their Chakras
- 7 Steps Of Preventing Injuries At Yoga Class
- 5 Sanskrit Words Every Yogi Should Know
- The Eight Limbs Of Yoga
- Yoga To Cure Menstrual Cramp
- How Bikram Yoga Changed My Life
- The Truth About Bikram Yoga
- Ashanga Yoga Is A Shooting Star
- 6 Relaxing Yoga Poses To Help You Fall Asleep
- Why A Mala Will Rock Your Meditation Practice
- Five Elements Of Ayurveda
- Benefits of Alkaline Water
- 5 Yoga Poses For Road Travellers
- Yoga And Ubud Writers Readers Festival 2014
- Vinyasa Yoga - Flow Yoga
- Yoga and Weight Loss
- What You Need To Know About Yin Yoga
- What Type of Yoga is Best For Weight Loss?
- 5 Yoga Postures To Help With PMS and Cramps
- Stress Slows Down Your Metabolism
- Yoga Speak Glossary of Sanskrit Words