1. Asana. My first yoga teacher put the accent on the second syllable, like this: ah-SAW’-nah. I still think that has a nice ring to it. But the correct pronunciation is AH’-sah-nah. Literally, it means “seat,” but in yoga class it’s pretty much interchangeable with the word “pose.” For example, Balasana = Child’s Pose, Navasana = Boat Pose… and so on.
2. Namaste. This is my favorite Sanskrit word because it’s fun to say–nah’-mah’-stay. It means: The divine light within me salutes the divine light within you. My incredibly simplified translation: I’m awesome. You’re awesome. All these other people are awesome. Isn’t it awesome that we just practiced yoga together? Thanks for your presence.
3. Om. Ooooooohhhhhmmmmmmm. Apparently, this is the sound of the universe. The written version of Om has become a universal symbol of yoga–it adorns yoga studio walls and is tattooed on yoga students everywhere. But what does it mean? Essentially, we are all a part of this universe–always moving, always changing, always breathing. When you chant Om, you’re tapping into that vibration.
4. Shanti. Peace. When you chant, “Om shanti shanti shanti,” it’s an invocation of peace. In Buddhist and Hindu traditions you chant shanti three times to represent peace in body, speech, and mind.
5. Yoga. We all know that yoga is the union of body, mind, and spirit. That’s what the word yoga means–yoke or union. It is, indeed, the practice of connecting our body, mind, and spirit, but it can mean more than that, too. It’s about connecting us to ourselves, each other, our environment, and, eventually, our truth.
Article Source: Erica Rodefer for www.yogajournal.com
- Yin Yoga & The Art Of Daydreaming
- Yoga Helps Women Fights Breast Cancer
- Phyllis Sues, A 92-Year-Old Yogi Shares Her Secrets To Happiness & Longevity
- The Meridians: Connecting the Visible and Invisible An Interview with Qigong Grand Master Xi-Hua Xu
- 8 Things You Should Know About Acro Yoga
- What Everyone Needs To Know About Their Chakras
- 7 Steps Of Preventing Injuries At Yoga Class
- The Eight Limbs Of Yoga
- Yoga To Cure Menstrual Cramp
- How Bikram Yoga Changed My Life
- The Truth About Bikram Yoga
- Ashanga Yoga Is A Shooting Star
- 6 Relaxing Yoga Poses To Help You Fall Asleep
- Why A Mala Will Rock Your Meditation Practice
- Five Elements Of Ayurveda
- Benefits of Alkaline Water
- 5 Yoga Poses For Road Travellers
- Yoga And Ubud Writers Readers Festival 2014
- Vinyasa Yoga - Flow Yoga
- Yoga and Weight Loss
- What You Need To Know About Yin Yoga
- What Type of Yoga is Best For Weight Loss?
- 5 Yoga Postures To Help With PMS and Cramps
- Stress Slows Down Your Metabolism
- Yoga Speak Glossary of Sanskrit Words